I don’t even like to type the word Hamburger Helper. I think the stuff is nasty, sorry Betty. I have never cooked this a day in my life, so I really don’t know what it tastes like besides a few people cooking it when I was younger, which I decided to eat something else. Just never appealed to me. However, I have made many homemade Hamburger Helper recipes, including cheeseburger, lasagna and this stroganoff. With this being said, I’ve had many homemade hamburger stroganoff versions. They were never creamy, dry as can be, and sticky. YUCK! I made this version up after taste testing many recipes and deciding to come up with my own recipe. Yes this is filled with onions and garlic, I’m a lover of both of these as they bring the flavors out so much. You can adjust to your families liking.
Cook pasta according to package directions-do not overcook. Soggy pasta is yucky. Saute the garlic and onions in the 2 tablespoons of butter until soft. Add the meat and brown. Add flour and stir constantly until mixed in fully with the meat. You’ll want to cook about 3 minutes. Add the can of soup. It will look like a thick, dry mess. Stir to distribute. Add salt and pepper. Gradually add one can of milk. It will thicken as it heats. Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the macaroni and mix well. Stir in sour cream, heat through and serve. You can add fresh parsley( I didn’t have any on hand, but usually do this.) Sprinkle with fresh ground pepper.
- 3 cups elbow macaroni-cooked and drained
- 2 garlic cloves-minced
- ½ cup onion-diced
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 10½ oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 soup can of milk
- Fresh ground pepper
- Fresh parsley(optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Saute the garlic and onions in 2 tablespoons of butter until soft.
- Add the meat and brown.
- Add flour and stir constantly until mixed in fully with the meat, cook about 3 minutes.
- Add the can of soup, stir to distribute.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Gradually add one can of milk. Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the macaroni and mix well.
- Stir in sour cream, heat through and serve.
Latest posts by Nichol (see all)
- HOT Shutterfly 50% off Holiday Deals – Hardcover Photo Books, Labels, Magnets & More - December 6, 2013
- Sale Monster High 13 Wishes Twyla Doll Deal $11.99 Shipped Free - December 6, 2013
- Kids Organic Long Johns Pajamas & Baby Sleepers Sale $18 - December 6, 2013