Banana bread is on almost everyone’s table at Thanksgiving, at least in our family it is. I’m a huge fan of a slice for breakfast and snacks warmed in the microwave for a few seconds with some butter, yum. However, banana bread can get pretty fattening from butter plus high in sugars from the sugar (it is already high from the banana carbs). I went on a mission with Truvia to create a low fat banana bread recipe that was still moist. If you are not aware of Truvia, it is a natural zero calorie sweetener made from Stevia. I use it in everything; coffee, baking, cooking, sprinkled on cereal and oatmeal and so much more. I used it in this hot chocolate most recently. I like it because there is no horrible after-taste, it is natural and has zero calories making it guilt-free!
This recipe took me a few tries. The first recipe was blah. The second recipe was way too sweet. And well, here is the third; third times a charm is what they say:)
This is full of banana flavor, sweetened with Truvia baking blend and I used canola oil to incorporate healthier fats (monounsaturated) and combined all purpose and 100% whole wheat flour. Adding the yogurt made the bread moist. Truvia Baking Blend bakes and browns like sugar but with 75% fewer calories per serving than sugar!
If you are making banana bread try this one. Cut into 10 slices, than each of those in half for only 109 calories per slice per person and only 3 grams of fat plus added protein.
- 4 very ripe bananas-mashed
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ cup vanilla Greek Yogurt ( I used Cabot Greek Style Vanilla Bean)
- ½ cup Truvia Baking Blend
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 100% whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large bowl, combine bananas, oil, Truvia, egg and egg whites. With hand mixer mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk
- Combine dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir until moistened.
- Pour into lightly greased loaf pan
- Bake 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven to cool.