It has now been over a year since I started eating healthy, I wouldn’t trade healthy living for anything. Clean eating has really made me feel more energized, less bloated and overall amazing.
I’m now at the point in my life where I’m trying to like foods I hate. Tomatoes are one of those foods. I just can’t stomach them. It isn’t the flavor because I can eat canned tomatoes or any foods that are tomato based. Fresh though? Forget it. I can however handle very small chopped up tomatoes for tacos, with the seeds remove.
Baby steps though. I’m learning to appreciate them and their amazing health benefits. I recently started buying grape tomatoes since they are small. It’s the seeds that gag me, so grape tomatoes being smaller have less seeds. To eat plain without anything though, it will never happen. I need flavor, to hide those seeds, which is how I came up with this very healthy open faced egg sandwich with spinach and tomatoes.
This egg, tomato and spinach sandwich isn’t smothered in mayo, you won’t find that with me. Instead, all is cooked in extra virgin olive oil and lightly seasoned. This is the perfect mid-morning snack low in sugar, high in protein and full of Vitamin A, C & E! Enjoy.
- 1 slice Ezekiel 4:9 Sprouted Whole Grain Bread ( I used low sodium)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- handful of baby spinach
- 5 grape tomatoes; sliced thin lengthwise
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Heat a small skillet on low heat.
- Add olive oil.
- Toast the bread to your preferred liking in the toaster.
- Once olive oil is heated add egg, sprinkle with pepper.
- Once egg has full set and is no longer runny underneath, carefully flip.
- Count to 20 seconds or so and place egg on a plate.
- In the same skillet add spinach, tomatoes, season with basil, salt & pepper. Stirring the spinach mixture constantly until the spinach has wilted.
- Place mixture on toast and top with egg.