Some days I feel like a kid again and crave peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. When I was younger that is all my mom made, so as I got older they were the last thing I wanted.
Now that I have two children that ask for them several times a week, they are a food I sometimes want. But have you looked at the ingredients in jellies and jams? Many are filled with sugar, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, fruit juice and some sweetened with no calorie sweeteners I don’t approve of anymore. Not even made with fruit, ugh!
Three berries; strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, sweetened with raw honey and thickened with chia seeds, not pectin. This is a no freeze jam, simple to make and tastes delicious.
Spread on muffins, toast, make that peanut butter and jelly sandwich you’ve been craving, add to Greek yogurt, top french toast and pancakes, heck take a huge tablespoonful and enjoy.
- 1 cup fresh strawberries-stems removed, quartered
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-2 tablespoons raw honey (depending on how sweet you want your jam. I only used 1 tablespoon)
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- In a saucepan on medium heat, add the berries, water and honey.
- Stir constantly until mixture thickens-about 5-8 minutes.
- Slightly mash until a consistency you like.
- Add in chia seed, stir.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes to thicken.
- Place in air tight container ( I save old jam containers) and store in fridge.
- Will keep 10-14 days.