A few weeks ago I started having baby blues like crazy. I told my husband who told me I was crazy for considering another child. But, I had a feeling our family wasn’t complete. Then, I thought about it. My kids are 11 and 7. No way did I want another baby with those ages, so we discussed a puppy. And that’s exactly what we did. Meet Bella, our chocolate/yellow lab mix.
She is such a good girl. She just turned 10 weeks old, already sits, likes to suck on my finger like a binky and is house training very well with minimal pee accidents.
I’m her mom, she’s my baby and I want what is best for her. I did some research on human foods that are safe for pets and knew I would start making her dog treats. I want was is best for her with minimal ingredients and healthy. So I did exactly what I did with my children, trialed foods. For the last 14 days I trialed sweet potatoes, pumpkin, oats and flax and she had no issues. So we made healthy homemade dog treats this morning.
To say she loves this is an understatement. When they cooled I gave her one. She sniffed and ate it in seconds. Then she was attacking the storage container I placed them in.
Of course I tasted a bite. Pretty bland but keep in mind she is a puppy so I will be trialing all foods before making new biscuits.
These are perfect for puppies and dogs loaded with vitamin A, high in fiber and no fat. Crunchy on the outside, soft(ish) on the inside!
Update: So the day after being in a sealed container, these turned completely soft, cookie like. Bella is teething like crazy and loves the soft texture.
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour * see note on how to make oat flour
- 1/2 cup pure pumpkin
- 1/2 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- Preheat oven to 350
- Place all ingredients in a bowl.
- With your hands, mix the mixture until ball forms.
- With a rolling pin, roll out to about 1/2 inch thick.
- With a [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027CU0GS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0027CU0GS&linkCode=as2&tag=livsmagir04-20″ target=”_blank”]dog bone shaped cookie cutter,[/url] cut out. I used the smallest in this [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0027CU0GS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0027CU0GS&linkCode=as2&tag=livsmagir04-20″ target=”_blank”]set[/url]
- Lightly spray a baking sheet
- Bake 20 minutes, cool on wire rack and store in container..