Back in February I injured my knee during a Zumba class and was out of exercise for a long 3 months. I thought my world was going to end. Besides a bit of upper body and abs I wasn’t allowed to do anything. Very frustrating when exercise became my time, my happy time, the time I knew I was doing something good for me.
But now I’m back at it, to lose the few pounds I gained during those 3 months. BTW: if anyone tells you all you have to do is eat healthy, they are being dishonest. I eat clean 90% of the time but without cardio my hips are feeling the effects. You need to eat healthy and exercise to have a fit body all the time.
Any who, today I’m going to talk about cookies because who doesn’t love cookies? I have an entire Pinterest board dedicated to yummy goodness however those cookies I pin are for gatherings and a treat for my kids. I need oatmeal cookies, my favorite kind. But my healthy oatmeal energy cookies which are filled with all sorts of yumminess. Dates, almond butter, chia seeds, goji berries, cacao nibs and honey.
These are the perfect post or pre workout snack, or just a quick treat, ideal with a glass of almond milk. 1 cookie still is high in calories but remember these are filled with good for you ingredients. No added sugars, butter, flour or other junk that cookies usually incorporate.
Make up a batch and throw them in the fridge and take one or two out to enjoy during the day.
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 5 medjool dates-pitted
- ½ cup raw almond butter
- 2 egg whites
- 3 tablespoon goji berries
- 2 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsalted sunflower kernels
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Place dates in a food processor and process until a ball forms.
- Place oats, chia seeds, goji berries, sunflower seeds and cacao nibs in a bowl, mix.
- Add dates, almond butter, egg whites and honey.
- With your hands or a large fork mix & mash until throughly incorporated.
- Lightly spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Roll mixture into 18 balls and flatten.
- Bake 12 minutes, remove from oven cool 2 minutes, then place on wire rack to cool entirely.