I recently started thinking about going to the Paleo lifestyle as there are countless Paleo recipes I want to try. I’m not sure I could go exclusively as I’d miss many foods, but for a few weeks at least. I haven’t been eating the greatest as I’ve been having a bout with grief from stupid childhood stuff, so it is time to clean my system again.
With the holidays arriving many can’t say no to the MANY delicious foods that sit in front of us. Potatoes, pies, breads, cookies….you get the idea.
Since I host the holidays, I wanted to create a healthy Paleo recipe I knew everyone would enjoy. This Paleo sweet potatoes and apple casserole is simple to make and tastes so good with a tiny bit of spice. Many will already have the ingredients on hand and prep time is minimal. For this recipe I used my handy Vidalia Chop Wizard which is how my potatoes look like little fries, but dicing the sweet potatoes and apple is just as easy.
This recipe is the perfect side to those holiday gatherings, is high in potassium and Vitamin A, low in fat and contains no Trans fats or cholesterol.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes – peeled and sliced or diced ([url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I6JZWA/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000I6JZWA&linkCode=as2&tag=livsmagir04-20&linkId=ZNJ5XMVRZPJWHH3V” target=”_blank”]Vidalia chop wizard [/url]works perfect)
- 2 granny smith apples – peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoon local honey
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- juice from half lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 º
- Lightly spray an 8×8 baking dish with oil.
- In a bowl mix honey, coconut oil and lemon juice; set aside.
- In another bowl add sweet potatoes and apples, cinnamon and cayenne pepper; toss to coat with seasoning.
- Add honey mixture to potatoes & apples and toss to coat.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes – 55 minutes (depending how large you cut the potatoes and apples) until tender. Stir after 20 minutes of baking.