Oh look, it is that time of year again for my favorite; pumpkin recipes! The fall is actually my favorite time of year. Cool fresh air, apple, cinnamon and pumpkin scents fill the air and the leaves begin to fall. Though, I’m not excited for what is to follow after autumn with the forecast calling for bitterly cold & snow filled. I’ll be keeping cozy under the blankets this year and bundled up, because bitterly cold is no fun.
But there is no time to weep over the brutal winter we are going to have, it is time to celebrate pumpkin! I cook up many recipes that incorporate pumpkin in them. It’s like bringing fall into my home early.
What better way than to wake up eating pumpkin pie! Pumpkin pie with whipped cream is one of my favorite pies, however over 300 calories and 13 grams of fat that is nothing to celebrate. So to make this healthier than the traditional sweet treat we devour during the holidays, I decided to make a pumpkin pie steel cut oats recipe, that is SUPER simple. This steel cut oats recipe is sweetened with raw honey and topped with pepitas and filled with delicious pumpkin pie flavors that you won’t feel guilty about eating. The entire recipe is low in saturated fat, low in sodium, high in fiber and iron and an excellent source of vitamin A.
- 1 cup dry steel cut oats
- 3 cups water
- 1 can 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon raw honey
- 4 tablespoon [url href=”http://www.ohnuts.com/buy.cfm/bulk-nuts-seeds/shop-by-the-pound-2/hulled-raw-pepitas-no-shell-pumpkin” target=”_blank”]pepitas[/url]
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, add oats and cinnamon stick, stir and add cover.
- Cook 17-20 minutes.
- Add pumpkin, ground cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, vanilla and honey. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Allow to sit 5 minutes.
- Place in individual bowls and top with pepitas. (If you need more sweetener add a bit more honey).