I’m not very good with textures. If I bite into something that has a weird texture, I immediately gag. Some foods that I cannot tolerate are mushrooms, any seafood, eggplant, tomatoes and cottage cheese. As much as I want to like them I just can’t. Cottage cheese I want to like because it is high in protein, but plain or with added fruit? Forget it. I’ve tried and tried and tried. It isn’t happening. Cheese curds and I are not friends. Now mozzarella and cheddar? We are best buds!
So, in my quest to try to become friends with Mr. Cottage cheese, I had to make something that was tasty because I need it in my life as the protein content makes me happy – extremely happy. High protein, high carb, high fiber breakfasts are what I live for! Cottage cheese pancakes, the perfect way to incorporate one food that I don’t enjoy to give me that breakfast I crave.
I’ve been making this recipe for a while now because my brother has celiac disease, so I want him to enjoy a healthy breakfast when he visits, so when I made them for breakfast last week I said to myself oh wait, I’ve never blogged these. Got out my camera and snapped away.
And here they are. My delicious gluten-free cottage cheese banana protein pancakes. You get a whopping 3 pancakes here for under 400 calories. Just add a bit of fresh berries and you’ll be full all morning.
- ½ cup oat flour (add ½ cup rolled oats to a coffee grinder to make oat flour) I use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Old-fashioned rolled oats.
- ¼ cup cottage cheese
- 1 small ripe banana – mashed
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a blender place all ingredients and blend until mixed. If it is too thick add a bit more milk.
- Heat griddle to 325.
- Lightly mist with cooking spray.
- Add ¼ cup batter to griddle, continue until batter is gone.
- Cook until golden and flip and cook until golden again.
- Serve with fresh berries & pure maple syrup if you choose.
So tell me if you have any food texture issues?