When my husband and I started dating and then living together, I enjoyed cooking but not like I do now. I just didn’t have the time to whip up new recipes or even experiment with ingredients. Now that I am a stay at home mom who has a full-time blogging job (wow shocking right) I enjoy pulling out ingredients and testing new recipes. This spaghetti Bolognese is the best and one I am truly proud of. In my mission to hide vegetables so my children can have healthier meals, I knew carrots had to be in this. It is full of flavor, with a bit of chunkiness and filled with healthy ingredients. The secret ingredient; Montreal Steak Seasoning! When I was ill a few years ago, I was craving meat sauce and well my husband has no clue how to make spaghetti Bolognese. Actually he had no idea what the word bolognese was when we first met, and laughed at me, continuing to say meat sauce. He has never watched me make it, so being the awesome and amazingly wonderful husband that he is, he made me what I was craving. He browned some ground beef, through in some jar onion salt, garlic powder and Montreal Steak Seasoning, opened up a jar of spaghetti sauce and dinner was done. Of course this is nothing homemade, but he made it from the heart, and the steak seasoning has become our secret ingredient! If you decide to make this, try to use the ingredients as I have them listed as this is more nutritious then using full fat broth, or sauce with added salt. You can definitely use this for lasagna as well! I hope you enjoy this, it really is the best healthy spaghetti Bolognese!
|Healthy Spaghetti Bolognese||
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 cup carrots-finely chopped
- 1 rib celery-finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet onion-finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic-minced
- 1 tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning-lower sodium
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup red cooking wine
- 1/2 cup lower sodium fat free chicken broth
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes-no salt added(puree in a blender)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup 4C HomeStyle Parmesan Romano Grated Cheese
- 12 oz Ronzoni Smart Taste Spaghetti
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sirloin. Brown. Add in carrots, celery, onion, garlic, steak seasoning, red pepper flakes, and kosher salt. Cook 10 minutes, frequently stirring. Add red wine. Continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add in broth, crushed tomatoes, the pureed diced tomatoes and bay leaf. Simmer 35 minutes. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. 5 minutes before sauce is done simmering, remove bay leaf, add in the Parmesan cheese. Stir. Serve sauce over pasta, a side salad and a slice of bread.
The sauce makes eight one cup servings, however one cup sauce is a bit much for one person. I have this recipe calculated with serving 12 people.