When I meal plan I ask everyone in the family what they would like to have one of the nights. It gives us variety, plus the children can choose a simple meal since they are picky. My husband usually chooses grilled items, and this week was no different. He was craving Italian sausage with onions and peppers and my homemade potato salad. The weather hasn’t been accommodating, so we were keeping our fingers crossed the weather would hold out. It did!
Italian Sausage with Onions and Peppers is a simple dish that doesn’t require much of anything. I always suggest parboiling the sausage on the stovetop for about 10 minutes and then grilling for about 15 minutes. There are some tricks I’ve learned such as not piecing the skin. You want the juices to stay in for a fabulous bite of sausage. The onions & pepper do take some prep time as I’m not one to just throw them in a pan and sauté; I have to have added ingredients. The onions and peppers go well with many dishes and really make the dish more appealing and appetizing. Choose assorted bell peppers for a colorful topping to the sausage! This is also good with my Zesty Italian pasta salad as a side.
|Italian Sausage with Onions and Peppers||
- 5 [url href=”http://www.johnsonville.com”]Johnsonville[/url] Sweet Italian Sausage Links
- 5 Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage Links
- 1 Red Bell Pepper-cut into thin strips
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper-cut into thin strips
- 1 Green Bell Pepper-cut into thin strips
- 1 Large Sweet Onion-cut in half then into thin rings
- 1 large garlic clove-mince
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10 sausage rolls
- Place sausage in a large pan on med/high heat with 1 cup water and parboil covered for 10 minutes, turning once during cooking time. Heat grill on medium high heat. In a bowl add peppers, onion, garlic, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium/high heat. Add the pepper onion mixture and saute for about 20 minutes-stirring frequently. While those are sautéing grill sausage for about 15 minutes turning frequently. If you choose you may lightly butter sausage rolls and grill to give added crunch! Add sausage to sausage roll and top with onions/peppers and toppings of choice such as ketchup and mustard!
If you are unable to grill, once parboiling has finished, turn heat to low and cook sausage for about 20 minutes. Water will evaporate to get your sausage browned.