Chili is one of those versatile soups that works great any time of the year! Below is a fantastic recipe from 2011 that is tasty and simple to prepare!
Yesterday I mentioned it felt like winter here, with snow on the ground. Luckily it headed east, but is unfortunate for my east coast friends who are piled up with tons of snow and without power. Chili is one of those recipes I make often in the winter. While I usually double this recipe to make more and to enjoy leftover chili recipes later in the week, this is a basic chili recipe that will serve 8 or less depending how hungry your family is. Everyone has their own recipe for chili and well this is mine. After I make this, it gets put in the fridge for at least 5 hours or overnight. I truly believe the flavor is much better letting it sit for a few hours, and then reheating. Of course your welcome to eat right away. I do not use kidney beans in this recipe as my family are not big fans, so instead we use chili beans.
Top with onions and shredded cheddar cheese and serve with corn muffins, and you got a warming meal the entire family is sure to enjoy.
Here is the recipe for 5 Hours Later Chili!
|Basic Chili Recipe|
- 1.5 lbs ground sirloin
- 2 cloves garlic-minced
- half medium sweet onion-finely chopped
- 29oz can tomato puree
- 14.5 oz can chili style diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can chili beans
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Sun of Italy Italian Spice Mix or 1/4 teaspoon each grated parmesan cheese, basil, oregano and garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- a few shakes of hot sauce(Cholua is highly recommended)
- onions and cheddar cheese to garnish-optional
- Brown ground sirloin with garlic and onion. If using a fattier beef drain. Add to a large pot with all the rest of the ingredients. Simmer uncovered stirring frequently on low heat 1.5-2 hours. Add to a large dish and place in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours. Reheat and serve with onions and cheese if you choose.
Serves 8 one cup servings