**Contains affiliate links**
Beef stew is one of those recipes I make a lot in the winter. I love all the vegetables, the heartiness and how it warms my body on a cold winter’s night. It brings back many childhood memories from when my mom made it. The funny thing is she now asks for my recipe.
This recipe is very basic and pretty easy if you have never made it. It’s a traditional homemade beef stew and is also delicious over brown rice or mashed potatoes. This can also be done easily in a slow cooker by browning the meat first and adding all ingredients into the pot and cooking on low 6-8 hours. If you have a larger family be sure to double or triple this recipe as this makes enough for our family of 4. Enjoy.
Pro Tip: To make meal time extra special, serve the stew up in neat soup bowls! You can make meal time more fun by just adding a few unique touches! Check out the great selection of bowls here.
|Traditional Homemade Beef Stew|
Homemade Beef Stew
- 1.5 lb lean stew meat
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce-lower sodium
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small sweet onion-thinly sliced
- dash allspice
- 8-10 baby carrots-sliced thin or 3 whole carrots-peeled sliced thin
- 3 white potatoes-diced
- 3 ribs celery-diced
- In a resealable freezer bag, add pepper, salt and garlic powder.
- Add stew meat. Seal and shake to coat all pieces of meat.
- Heat oil over medium high heat in a large dutch oven.
- Add meat and brown on all sides.
- Add water, broth, bouillon cube, Worcestershire, paprika, bay leaf, onion and allspice. Stir well. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and simmer 1.5 hours stirring about every half hour.
- Add carrots, potatoes, and celery. Cover and simmer another 45 minutes or until veg are fork tender. If mixture is not thick once fully cooked thicken with 1 tablespoon cornstarch and liquid. Bring to a boil, remove bay leaf and serve. Season with more pepper!