I’ll admit I’m not the biggest popcorn fan. I need flavor, not butter and salt. Chocolate, taco flavor, garlicky, white cheddar, those are all delicious. Movie style popcorn though, no thanks.
Movie night has always been Friday or Saturday nights in our home. The kids always ask for popcorn, with butter. I don’t want to feel left out though, so I get creative with flavors. My popcorn is a sweet treat for me since I do not eat many sweets. Gourmet popcorn at home I like to call it.
Chocolate, coconut and sea salt? Yes please!
No microwaved popcorn in our home though. Go buy a bag of popcorn kernels (we prefer white kernels), a tiny 1/3 cup of kernels makes loads of popcorn. And if you’re a nice mom like me, everyone can have different flavors.
But this is ALL mine, since I’m the only coconut lover in the house. I’ll share though if you’d like.
Sure plain old popcorn is a much healthier snack but family movie night is the time to indulge. I’m still enjoying a whole grain snack with the addition of antioxidants from the dark chocolate with a bit of coconut flavor as this is cooked in coconut oil and mixed with shredded coconut.
Salted Chocolate Coconut Popcorn Recipe
- 2 tablespoon organic coconut oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels ( I use white)
- 1.5 ounces dark chocolate broken up into pieces (any will do but I use Species 88% Dark Chocolate)
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a large saucepan on medium high heat add coconut oil.
- Once melted, add the popcorn kernels. Cover pan and move back and forth over burner. You do not want burnt kernels.
- Continue to move pan back and forth, kernels will begin to pop.
- Once popcorn stops popping, remove from heat.
- Add in chocolate, shredded coconut and sea salt and stir with a wooden spoon. Pour into a bowl to cool slightly or you’ll be a chocolate mess.
- Place in popcorn bowl and enjoy!
PRO TIP: Why not make movie night extra special with some really cool popcorn bowls!