Disclosure: I am part of the PTPA Brand Ambassador Program with ESET and I received compensation as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.
The other day I was thinking back to when I was a child, playing kick-the-can, hide-n-go seek in the dark and not coming home until the street lights came on. Yeah, those were the days. Now, kids are playing with video games, smartphones, tablets and whatever other technology comes our way. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but with the world today we stay connected with friends & family via text messages, updates on Facebook, pictures on Instagram and chat through email.
Our children have been familiarized to all sorts of technology at such an early age and that can be terrifying especially since there are so many criminals out there just waiting to find their next victim. You may think identity theft can only happen on a computer but with more and more people using smartphones and tablets, the focus has been switched.
Just like on the computer, there are some common cyber threats you need to be aware of to keep yourself and your children that are using smart devices – safe.
- Phishing: This is an attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords, credit/debit card information and bank account information by producing a fake website, alleged to be a trusted website. Typically, phishing is through email or instant messaging. I see these all the time with what looks like a legitimate PayPal email telling me to verify my information but it is bogus. DO NOT click links in these emails. They want your precious personal information.
- SPAM: We all get it and possibly you have had your email address stolen and SPAM sent in your name. This is another way for those criminals to take control of something that is yours to possibly get your personal information.
- Malware: This is another name for malicious software. Software that has been installed without your knowledge intended to damage or disable services and gather information; YOUR information. A great example is those pop-ups that say your computer is infected, you go and buy that software and BAM, and you have just given your credit card information. It is frightening.
- Virus: Just like our computers our tablets and smartphones can get a virus as well. This happens by downloading apps, download via the internet or by opening attachments in email.
- Ransomware: Say what? This is a type of malware designed to block access to a computer system until a sum of money is paid. So in other terms – You are on your computer and get locked out until you pay the specified amount. Scary stuff.
That is why your Android devices need ESET Mobile Security.
ESET Mobile Security offers protection against our growing world of technology against the most common cyber threats. Now families can explore, create and share online with family & friends with peace of mind as your devices are being protected by ESET Antivirus technology that scans files, websites and emails 24/7. ESET provides maximum protection in antivirus, anti-theft, SMS & Call Filters, Anti-Phishing and Security audit.
I love that I am able to schedule antivirus scans or scan my device anytime to check files, websites and emails. Luckily for me no threats have been found on our devices.
When anti-phishing is turned on (highly recommend) it scans to shield personal data. What would you do if you lost your tablet or smartphone? Freak out just a bit? I know for a fact I would but not with ESET anti-theft. Anti-theft increases the chances of recovering your lost or stolen device by enabling it to email you notifications, transmit its current location so you can track it on my.eset.com, sound an alarm or even erase the contents remotely. ESET Mobile Security also features:
- SMS & Call Filter: helps you manage your time by making it easy to define who can contact you and when.
- Apps Audit: All installed apps are scanned and organized with Apps Audit to show permission levels and what information on your phone or tablet they can access
- Security Audit: I really like that this is included to monitor my device. We’ve all seen the talks going around about Facebook Messenger, well this app will tell you exactly what apps are installed on your phone that can cost users money. I was shocked to find six apps including messenger. This will also tell which apps can track your location, read identity information such as mobile phone number, access text messages and contact list. I was clueless to all of this before having ESET installed on my phone.
I feel a confidence when my children are on our Android devices. We own a smartphone and tablet that had no security on them before. Now we are protected if my children click on a link, download and install apps, open a file and so much more. ESET is protecting all of our devices as it can be installed on up to 5 devices on the same Google Play account. Keep yourself, children and loved ones protected and get ESET Mobile Security today.
Save 75% on ESET Mobile Security making it only $4.95 for the entire year! Learn more and buy ESET Mobile Security.
Android Tablet Giveaway
I’m in great company with ten ESET ambassadors and we have an amazing giveaway going on.
One (1) Android Tablet (Google Nexus or Samsung Galaxy) outfitted with the full version of ESET Mobile Security valued at over $225. This will be given away across all ten blogs! KiddiesCorner Deals readers enter below today!