If you haven’t guessed by now, this little girl is my world.
I was never really a dog person as I had my heart broken growing up with dogs being killed by running out of the door and getting hit by a car. The worst was in my early teens. Our mixed lab ran out and was hit by a snow plow. I wouldn’t wish anyone to see that. He didn’t die immediately, which made it even worse. Breaks my heart just typing this.
So for my Bella I want what is best for her which means no dog food, bones or treats that are filled with who knows what. She never gets any junk, I just don’t allow it. She eats grain-free dog food and only eats homemade dog biscuits. I’ve made many and have blogged about
When Bella was younger, I trialed all the foods to make sure she didn’t have a reaction and she didn’t. Now she craves my homemade dog biscuits and waits by the oven for them to come out for her to taste.
Today I created a flavors of fall dog biscuit recipe that incorporates delicious fall foods such as sweet potatoes, pumpkin, apples and cinnamon & ginger spice. Another A+ recipe she LOVES.
These can be made without a dog bone cookie cutter, but bone shaped is so much more fun. I’m in the process of creating grain-free dog biscuits so be on the lookout.
- 3 cups gluten-free oat flour ( I buy gluten free rolled oats and grind in a coffee grinder)
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 egg whites - slightly beaten
- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree
- ½ cup mashed sweet potato (steam or bake)
- 1 apple - peeled and shredded
- Heat oven to 325 ° F
- In a bowl, mix oat flour, cinnamon and ginger - set aside.
- In another bowl mix egg whites, pumpkin, sweet potato and apple.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. A ball will form.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze 15 minutes.
- Once 15 minutes has passed, remove from freezer and roll out dough to ½" thickness.
- With a dog bone cutter (I use a 3.5" for my large breed dog, but use any size that suits your dog), cut out and place on parchment paper, non-stick baking mat or lightly sprayed baking sheet.
- Bake 33-36 minutes.
- Remove from oven, cool 3 minutes and move to wire racks to cool.
- Store in sealed container 3-5 days at room temp or in the fridge up to 1 week.
Very low in sodium
High in dietary fiber
Very high in vitamin A