This morning definitely feels like a fall day here in New York. Still a bit warm but with the rain and chilly air (YAY for no humidity) we know it is coming. When I wake up chilly all I want is my body to warm, and to do that quickly, a hot bowl of oatmeal is what is needed.
This spiced apple oatmeal is filled with apple pie flavors of cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice combined with rolled oats and shredded apples and topped with walnuts. It is mildly sweetened giving you all the flavors of pie without any guilt!
This is my go-to oatmeal in the fall because apple season here in NY typically begins the beginning of September and runs through October. We are the apple country, with an abundance of fresh apples and fresh apple cider. Nothing beats heading to our local apple orchards, picking apples, eating cider doughnuts and learning about all things apples.
For this recipe, definitely choose a green apple such as crispin, granny smith or ginger gold. Any apple variety will work though.
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 medium green apple - peeled and shredded
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- dash ground nutmeg
- pinch ground allspice
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon sweetener of choice such as pure maple syrup, raw honey or Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts (optional)
- Place oats, apple, spices and water in a microwave save bowl and microwave 2½ minutes on high power.
- Stir in sweetener.
- Top with walnuts if using.
Very low in sodium
High in dietary fiber
High in manganese